Friday, February 26, 2021

Compliment

Christopher Hitchens: "Let me ask a question to Mr Heston: can he tell me, clockwise, what countries have frontiers and borders with Iraq, starting from Kuwait?"

Charlton Heston: "Yes indeed I can (...). Kuwait, Bahrain, Turkey, Russia, uh... Iran."

Christopher Hitchens: "Exactly, you don't know where it is, in other words, do you? You have no idea where the country is on the map, and you're in favour of bombing it now rather than later, on the whim of a President."

Bob Cain: "Mr Hitchens, if I may interject, I'm not sure [about the relevance] of the instantaneous command of the geography of a region."

Christopher Hitchens: "Oh, I don't know, I think if you're in favour of bombing a country, you might pay it the compliment of knowing where it is."

--War in the Gulf with Bob Cain, CNN, February 5, 1991

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home