Thursday, October 20, 2022

SCAM ALERT - "Estimate from Billing Department of PayPal"

Unlike most scams, this one didn’t have the usual "sore thumbs". I had to Google, "Estimate from Billing Department of PayPal", which led to several good results.

The easy test might be the number in the email. Google it. If it were legit, it would show up as being PayPal's. Instead, hardly any results:

888-449-1420

There are several phone numbers used by the scammers, so if the above isn't in the email you received, that doesn't matter--it's just provided as an illustration/confirmation.

I got the "Walmart eGift Card" version. Some of the threads indicated that, like myself, the recipient had recently canceled their PayPal account over Free Speech.

It's a scam, and one of the best I've seen. And I've seen a lot over the years.


Substack Permalink:
https://terrylclark.substack.com/p/scam-alert-estimate-from-billing?sd=pf

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home