Thursday, August 03, 2006

My Letter: Saving Arcata From The "New" Minor Theatre

Earlier I Posted an item about Arcata's need for help with letters to the corporation that took over the once-great Minor Theatre. My letter to the corporation:


Dear Minor Theatre,

I regret to inform you that I will not be visiting you during the month of August.

You used to be such a vibrant, wise old theatre. Back in the day you brought our unique community of Arcata delightful, independent movies. Once upon a time you provided a warm, comfortable place where one could sit down, relax, and have their mind and soul stimulated and nurtured.

But now, Minor Theatre, you have become The Stepford Theatre. Just another corporate cookie-cutter, bringing in the same old drivel that is being shown at the other factory theatres in our area. Assaulting the audience with noisy advertisements for various toxic concoctions that the automatons will be glad to sell us from the Purple Kool-Aid stand in the lobby.

Some would say that, like an elderly relative that has descended into dementia, I should come and visit you this month anyhow. But somehow those continued visits seem to encourage the disease you have come down with, and that I cannot bear.

So perhaps next month I will come and visit. Although if the prognosis for recovery continues to appear abysmal, I may instead console myself with more visits to the local video store where my intelligence is still respected, and then on to pick up some organic popcorn at one of the local health food stores before heading home for the evening for some munchies and a good movie.

Sincerely,

Terry Lee Clark

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home