Thursday, November 02, 2006

A Tale Of Two Worlds

In Kansas, cops get busted for speeding tickets; in Eureka, California, the Blue Code Of Silence protects cops from murder charges!

TLC
________________________________________

Letter to The Salina [Kansas] Journal by Douglas Dee Powell is a lieutenant in the Phillips County Sheriff's Office, November 2, 2006:


'Code' not followed

I recently read your editorial about the New York Police Department officer who was upset over receiving a speeding ticket in Reno County, and want to relate a similar incident.

On July 20, 1999, I stopped a 14-year retired police supervisor from New City, N.Y., and his 12-year police veteran wife for speeding 47 miles per hour in a 30 mph zone. A second officer a half a block ahead of me had them locked on his radar speeding 49 mph.

Both the man and his wife wrote letters to my supervisors, the municipal judge and the city attorney complaining how they were disgusted about how we lied about them speeding, and accusing us of hiding. They felt like they were victims of "out of state-itis." The couple contested the ticket and appeared in Municipal Court in October 1999. The judge found them guilty. They appealed the decision to district court, where the judge found him guilty.

The driver made a comment to me that I would not have a career in his department because I did not follow the "code blue of silence." I had never heard of such a thing.

I commend the state trooper for maintaining standards of equality and understanding that no one is above the law.

-- DOUGLAS DEE POWELL
Phillipsburg

• Douglas Dee Powell is a lieutenant in the Phillips County Sheriff's Office.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home